Scandal: S6 E10 The Decision
It’s the 100th episode of Scandal! It doesn't feel like 100 episode. Kudos to the writers, cast, and crew. Let's remember Kerry Washington was the first Black female lead in a network drama in over 40 years when Scandal began. Paving the way for others in recent years. Bravo!
The episode begins with Fitz, Olivia, and Jake arguing with how to proceed. Jake suggests they do not intervene and allow Mellie to become President. Fitz isn’t having that and wants to clear Cyrus’ name, and stomps out like a pouty baby. Jake tells Olivia everything would have been worse if Defiance never happened. Cue *fantasy episode*
This week I won’t give a play-by-play, I’ll just provide the highlights.
- Defiance doesn’t happen thanks for Olivia. Thus, Fitz loses the election. Olivia tries to bounce without saying goodbye to Fitz, and work with Marcus on a bill for criminal justice reform.
- Fitz divorces Mellie! Olivia and Fitz then get married. Before the wedding, messy Cyrus refuses to sit with James (!) at the wedding. Huck walks Olivia down the aisle, and Rowan watches from a distance.
- Fitz earns himself a political news show, The Grant Report.
- The best part of episode: Mellie and Cyrus are married?!?!?! Didn't see that coming AT ALL.
- Jake and Fitz are buddies. Like having drinks and talking about their wives-type buddies.
- Quinn (aka Lindsay D. a law school student) is a contestant on a The Bachelor-type reality show (which Huck enjoys watching).
- Olivia and Fitz's marriage begins to fizzle. Fitz begins drinking. Liv doesn't like that he's not a man in power.
- Cyrus convinces Mellie to run for President (Sally Langston is the opposing candidate!). She needs a press person and finds one--James. Mellie overhears a private conversation between Cyrus and James about their relationship. Poor Mellie can never win in love, even in the alt-universe.
- Cyrus and Rowan find pics of Sally's husband having an affair with a man. Mellie doesn't want to use them, especially knowing Cyrus' secret (and she tells him that). Cyrus leaks them anyway and Cyrus tells her she knew all along that their marriage was a façade. Poor Mellie.
- Liv and Marcus are close to getting their bill passed. Meanwhile, Liv had Abby draw up divorce papers, and Abby gives her a talking to. We also learn that Abby and David are married (obviously!).
- Quinn/Lindsay and Fitz almost have a drunk hook-up.
- Mellie meets with Olivia and tells her that she made the right call about Defiance. Defiance would have destroyed Fitz.
- In the end, Fitz and Olivia make up and buy their house. Adorbs.
At the end of the episode, Olivia goes to speak to Fitz and they decide to help out Cyrus.
Overall: This fantasy, fanfic episode is not my thing. However, I understand it was a cute way to celebrate the 100th episode and it was a well-executed episode. This pursuit for Cyrus’ justice is not going to end well for OPA and their peers. This ought to be an interesting end of the season.